“ My sheep hear My voice, and I know them, and they follow Me.”
Do you know the voice of God? Hearing the voice of God can be as natural as hearing your earthly parents if you know how to hear Him and how He speaks to us today. In 1 Samuel 3 the bible gives us an account of Samuel, the boy prophet’s first prophecy. As the story goes God called Samuel several times in the middle of the night. But because Samuel didn’t know how to hear from Him he missed interpreted what he heard and went to his mentor Eli. After discerning God was calling Samuel, Eli took the time to teach the young prophet to hear from God. The rest is history!
In order to hear from God you must qualify yourself. God is not obligated to speak to everyone. Not because of physical or time constraints, but because of the condition of the heart. When our heart is in the right condition we qualify ourselves for God to speak to us each and every time.
There are basically 5 qualifications to hear from God. Each one requires an examination of the heart that without which hinders our ability to receive from Him.
1. You must be born again. In John 3:2 Nicodemas came to Jesus in the middle of the night. He recognized Jesus deity and inquired of what it would take to draw closer to God. Jesus told him: “Unless a man be born again he cannot see the Kingdom of God.” The Greek word see gives the connotation of receiving revelations. In other words, you can’t hear from God if your Spirit is not born again. To be born again you must first believe it in your heart, before you speak it with your mouth. It’s all about the heart.
2. You Must Be Humble. In James 4:2 it tells us that God resist the proud and exalts the humble. The attitude that God has against the prideful is best expressed in Psalm 104:20. He can’t stand it! The person who is full of pride has a heart that says I am better, I know more, I am more! Again, in the heart there is corruption.
3. You Must Operate in Faith In Hebrews 11:6 the scriptures tells us that for us to come to God we must first believe “…that He is, and that He is a rewarder.” Faith is a requirement to hear from God because faith is acting on what you believe not what you can see. If you are going to hear from a God you can’t see, you must have faith.
4. You must pursue Peace & Holiness. Peace is a prerequisite to hear the Voice of God because when He speaks, it is usually in a still small voice. Now God is God. He can talk to you in whatever manner He desires. But usually it will be from within, and that hearing is best facilitated by peace ruling in your heart. (Colossians 3:15)
5. You Must Spend time with God. By far, this is the most important qualifying factor to discern His voice. I am told a mother can hear the cry of her baby in a room full of crying babies. Why? Because of the time she spent with him. So it is with our Father. In Jeremiah 29:13 we are told, “And you will seek Me and find Me, when you search for Me with all your heart.” The time we spend seeking Him with our whole heart is rewarded by finding Him. Again, our heart is key to finding Him.
I’d love to hear your thoughts so please leave a comment. Tell me what you think and share your experiences of fellowship with our Father.
I am Andrew Freed, and you are an Overcomer In Christ.